Kaldi’s Berry represents a specialty coffee ecosystem business that started its humble beginning at China Square Central in Oct 2012 as a café, which was subsequently rebranded as Blocs Inc. Specialty Coffee in 2015 and relocated to Paya Lebar Square. Other than being a functional café serving the daily dose of caffeine, we also retail coffee brewing equipment as well as freshly roasted coffee beans. Blocs Inc. coffee is now also available exclusively in selected Duke Bakery outlets (currently in IMM and White Sands outlets) since September 2016.
The company first introduced a specialty coffee brewing course known as JAWSS (Just Add Water So Simple) in 2014, which took off with great success, and ongoing today. The basic 3 hours course was initiated by Anthony Lee, founder of Kaldi’s Berry who is also a SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America) Level 1 certified Barista. The course content builds on the foundation of the SCAA program, but modified and simplified to be interactive and practical oriented. It aims to arm layman with a basic knowledge of how easily it is for anyone to brew a good cup of coffee at home/ office, ending off with the highlight – hands on latte art making. Till date, more than 700 participants, who came from all walks of life, have benefited from the course since it started, including corporate staffs from companies such as Deutsche Bank, Nespresso, Sentosa Development Corporation, Storhub as well as educational institution such as Singapore Management University etc. Other than operating a café and training courses, we also research and develops innovative solutions that improve and enhance the overall customer experience in F&B settings.
A leading authentic specialty coffee company in Asia that is admired for its brands, innovation and results that contributes to a better and sustainable world.
We build a coffee and people culture that is powered by passion, creativity and drive, bonded by 6 core values:
- Deliver a WOW experience through exceptional customer service
- Embrace and drive change with the right attitudes and beliefs
- Be passionate, adventurous, committed, creative, fun and open-minded
- Pursue growth through lifelong learning
- Build strategic relationships with honest and open communication
- Foster a positive team and family spirit with genuine care and consideration for our peers
- Maximise and deliver targeted shareholders returns by operating a responsible business model,
- Inspire and nature our people by providing a fair working environment that encourages continuous learning and offers career advancement opportunities,
- Anticipate and address our customers’ needs and wants with fresh and quality products that is delivered with exceptional customer service,
- Build and achieve a win-win business relationships with strategic partners,
- Care and provide for the less privileged community.
For the longest time, the subject matter of specialty coffee remains unclear to most people who loves coffee. Particularly in South East Asia where the coffee culture is deeply rooted in traditional preparation (roasting and brewing) practices, where the majority of coffee drinkers still take pride in consuming the local ‘kopi’, proper education is much needed to inject clarity and create a distinction between kopi and coffee, and in particular – specialty coffee. Additionally, the skills of workers whose sacred job is to prepare the most important beverage of the day must go beyond making fanciful latte arts to embrace a whole new world of coffee knowledge so that they can be truly called baristas, or ambassador or advocates of specialty coffee.
There are three key areas that we want to focus on in order to cultivate and promote a good specialty coffee culture and industry best practices in Asia, and we hope to create many long-term strategic partnerships with other organizations to achieve our goals, together. The three areas are namely:
- Training coffee lovers on how to brew good coffee anytime, anywhere, using easy-to-use and portable brewing apparatus.
- Elevating the baristas’ customer service excellence & technical knowledge and skills to better serve the consumer’s needs.
- Creating a CSR platform that connect the coffee community and educate people of the story from beans to cup (BTC).
If all these make sense to you, we invite you to join us on this experiential journey of specialty coffee excellence, beginning with our course “Barista Fundamental”
Gain the basic knowledge to understand what constitutes high quality espresso and hand brew coffee, as well as fundamental knowledge and skills to start you on your path to becoming a professional barista. Whether you wish to gain employment in the specialty coffee industry, provide your customers with a better coffee experience or simply indulge in the delight that the perfect coffee provides, this course can provide the strong fundamental that will bring you closer to your goals. Participants will learn both theory and practical on :
- Understanding specialty coffee,
- Parts of the espresso machine & grinder,
- How to operate an espresso machine & grinder, including essential cleaning techniques,
- The art of extracting perfect espresso,
- Milk texturing techniques,
- Popular beverages that make up the coffee menu,
- Handcrafted coffee – The Pour Over,
- How to prepare espresso, latte, cappuccino and the pour over coffee.
Participants will receive:
- A set of course handouts,
- The opportunity to make espresso based beverages,
- The opportunity to differentiate between brewed coffee and espresso based coffee,
- The fundamental skills and knowledge that every barista need to have.
|Participant’s Profile||Individual who desires to join the barista profession;
Employees or coffee shop owners who need to prepare coffee with the espresso machine and have not undergone a formal training
Anyone who wishes to be able to brew good coffee themselves
|Duration||7.25 hours – can be completed in either 1 day or over 2 days depending on the class size and location availability.|
|Course Fee||S$145 excluding GST (can claim with SkillsFuture credits)
Please visit http://www.skillsfuture.sg for details. You need your SingPass to file a claim, which has to be completed before the course.
|Career Progression||Enables individual to acquire the fundamental skill set to start the barista career with confidence.|
|Course Venue||Theory :
(a) Kaldi’s Berry @ 35 Tai Seng Street, #01-01,Tata Communications Exchange, Singapore 534103 OR
(b) iBosses Institute @ 7 Maxwell Road, MND Building Annexe B, #03-01, Singapore 069111.
(c) Blocs Inc. Cafe @ 60 Paya Lebar Road, Paya Lebar Square,
|Certification||A certificate of attendance will be given to participants who successfully fulfill all the requirements of the course.|
|Min & Max no. of Participants||Minimum of 4 & maximum of 12 participants.|
1. Path Forward for course participants
The alignment of our program is based on the intent to develop skills for the employment of Human Capital in Singapore. The Academic Pathway that we are developing can potentially open up a Dual career pathway for course participants
a. Academic Pathway
From our existing introductory course JAWSS, we have sparked off strong interest for different groups of participants – namely school leavers, unemployed PMETS, mid-career switch, F&B crew etc.
- Barista Essentials – Besides coffee knowledge and barista technical skills, this course also focus on the soft skills aspect on service excellence and relationship management. Barista needs to learn how he/she could professionally engage his/her customers while making their favorite coffee beverages. Apart from engaging customers, barista often form an important part of the operations team in a café or restaurant. He/she needs to know how to work well with other teammates and promote workplace harmony.
- Barista Pro – This course caters for trained & experienced baristas who aspire to go in-depth on the technical aspect of specialty coffee, including teaching on how to properly calibrate the coffee beans grinder, espresso machine maintenance, and understanding of milk chemistry as well as techniques on creating advanced latte art.
b. Dual Career Pathway
Our program caters for the different segment of the market:
- Barista as a career – for individual who desires to become a barista. Suitable for potential school leavers, unemployed PMETS / mid-career switch and even those who wants to become their own boss!
- Trainers – for experienced barista who enjoys teaching and aspires to contribute to the advancement in specialty coffee education.
Kaldi’s Berry Private Limited
35 Tai Seng Street, #01-01,Tata Communications Exchange, Singapore 534103
The Eureka Moment Specialty Coffee Academy
iBosses Institute @ 7 Maxwell Road, MND Building Annexe B, #03-01, Singapore 069111.
Blocs Inc. Cafe @ 60 Paya Lebar Road, Paya Lebar Square,
#01-71, Singapore 409051
Blocs Inc Express @ Duke Bakery IMM
2 Jurong East Street 21, #01-124, IMM Building, Singapore 609601
Blocs Inc Express @ Duke Bakery Pasir Ris
1 Pasir Ris Central Street 3, #02-K2, White Sands, Singapore 518457
Name of Person-in-charge: Anthony Lee
Designation: Director & Chief Trainer
Social Media: /blocsinc